Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Thing 11: Library & Reference

Thing 11 is Library & Reference apps. I tried out the ELM site on my iPhone, and was pleased that it was responsive to my screen size and all of the major access points for finding information were immediately accessible.

My library (Great River Regional) does not have its own app, but I did download BookMyne, which is for libraries using the Horizon ILS. We don't promote this app for our users because I've heard it can be glitchy, but I'm going to give it another try and see if I have any issues with it. The interface is easier to read than the library's website when it's really tiny on my phone browser. This is my items checked out on BookMyne:


And this is my items checked out on the library's site in my phone's browser:


My library also offers downloadable books via OverDrive, and I have used that app many times to access the digital library. Except that I don't really like reading books on my phone or iPad, because I prefer the sensation of sitting down with an actual paper book. I'm probably going to download a few eBooks this summer and try again so I don't have to carry books on my trip to Europe, but as tech savvy as I am, I guess I'm still one of those readers that just really prefers a book to a device.

No comments:

Post a Comment