Thursday, April 10, 2014

Thing 8: Social Media Management Tools

Thing 8 is Social Media Management Tools. I have both Facebook and Twitter apps, but use Facebook more often than Twitter. I am not a big tweeter anymore, but used to use it quite frequently. I also manage the social media streams for my library, so have to keep up with any changes to both of these platforms for work.

I use the Facebook app multiple times daily. I don't often post to Facebook (try to limit my posting to once per day or even less frequently than that), but I do like to see what others post and what's trending. The only things I don't like about the app are that the in-app browser for following web links is kind of annoying in that it won't let you go back in the same way a normal browser does, and I also don't like all the posts about Game of Thrones (oh, wait, that might not be a problem with the app...).

In order to make Twitter more useful for me personally, I need to unfollow a bunch of stuff I first followed back in 2008/2009 when I joined Twitter. The main problem I see with all social media is that it's only as good as who you follow. I have to spend time curating the people I follow so that I get posts and updates I really care about, otherwise it becomes a vast wasteland of useless or annoying posts.


2 comments:

  1. You are so close to getting your badge for 10 things....can't wait. I recently "unfollowed" some people on Twitter, then saw the much improved use of my time in reading Tweets that were really useful. Much better! Keep going, would love to see you cross the finish line by June 15th. :-)

    ReplyDelete